What Is The Difference Between A Public Adjuster And A Lawyer? 

If you’ve recently had your property damaged by a disaster and need to file an insurance claim, you may not be sure if you should work with a public adjuster or a lawyer to ensure you get the compensation you need.

Should you hire a public adjuster or a lawyer to help you with your case? What’s the difference between commercial and residential public adjusters in Georgia and lawyers? Get the answers and guidance you need below. 


A Public Adjuster Works With You To Get The Best Outcome For Your Insurance Claim

A public adjuster is intended to help represent your best interests during an insurance claim. It’s important to note that your interests and the interests of your insurer are in direct competition. In essence, their insurance adjusters and staff will always try to pay you as little as possible for the damage to your property. Why? Because every dollar they save is another dollar, they can keep as profit. Unlike your insurance company’s insurance adjuster, a public adjuster works directly for you – the policyholder.

Public adjusters can assess the damage, gather evidence, study your insurance policy, and help you get the compensation that you genuinely deserve based on your rights as an insurance policyholder. They can handle the entire process of filing and managing your claim with your insurance agency on your behalf. 


A Lawyer Is The Best Option If You Have To Resort To Litigating Your Case 

Insurance lawyers and attorneys provide many of the same services as public adjusters. They can legally negotiate with the insurance company – which public adjusters can’t do in some states – and help you settle the case for the cash you deserve.  However, they are not always specialists in assessing damage to property. In addition, it may not be necessary to hire an attorney if you have already hired a public adjuster. In essence, lawyers are usually an option if your insurance company refuses to negotiate or denies your claim outright.  In this case, a lawyer is typically needed to sue the company and show that they failed to provide adequate coverage or acted in bad faith during your claim. 


You Can Work With Both A Public Adjuster And A Lawyer To Get Compensation 

In some cases, it may be a good idea to work with both a public adjuster and a lawyer to get compensation. Lawyers and public adjusters have areas of expertise that can be very useful to you as you negotiate with the insurance company and consider legal action.  However, remember that if you do this, you will likely have to pay fees to two different agencies or individuals – which can take a significant piece of your compensation. It’s often best to start with a public adjuster, and only hire a lawyer if you think that your insurance company won’t negotiate a reasonable settlement. 


Need A Residential Or Commercial Public Adjuster In Georgia? Contact Us Now! 

If you’re looking for a commercial or residential public adjuster in Georgia to help you negotiate with your insurance company, Strategic Claim Consultants can help. Contact us now for more information and to get a free, no-commitment case consultation.